Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Proposal For This Week's Mixers
CAS04

Proposal For This Week's Mixers
Greetings everyone,

I wanted to thank those of you that were able to make last week's beta test of a new competitive format that me and HiRezAPC have been working on. Unfortunately due to the somewhat short notice of the event, many players were unable to commit to or confirm their attendance. As a result, we only managed to test one map, but based on the data we gathered, it certainly looks promising.

I would very much like our organizations to continue working in this vein.
To that end, I'd like to propose that we adapt this format to this week's mixers. Given the earlier start time and longer advance notice, I believe that we'll be able to not only get a good sampling of players, but also a better idea of the how the format plays.

If this proposal is agreeable, I can begin confirming attendance of CAS members in conjunction with your playerbase. I am confident that with the increased amount of notice, we can gather more than enough players to meet the format's conditions.

Speaking of which, here is a refresher of the proposed rules:

The format will be the official game ruleset, with the following exceptions:

- CTF Blitz format
- 10v10 teams
- 1 SEN limit
- SAP20 banned
- We require that you follow a gentleman's agreement that you DO NOT use the RAGE perk while having the phase rifle equipped
- Flag drag will be set to 275kph for all classes
- Tactical strikes will cost 8,000 credits with a 5 second buildup time
- Orbital strikes will cost 20,000 credits with a 10 second buildup time

That's it. The objective is to keep the format as close to the official ruleset as possible, to allow a greater number of players to access it.

Thanks to everyone for considering, I look forward to hopefully continuing our work.
08-20-2013 01:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OldeWolfe

RE: Proposal For This Week's Mixers
Thanks for all the effort you are putting into making this work 004.

Perhaps a day and time statement might encourage more players to consider working the mixer into their schedules.

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

[Image: owprints8.gif]
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
and the autumn moon is bright".
08-20-2013 01:45 PM
CAS04

It's my pleasure, HiRezAPC and I are very excited about developing this format.

As stated in the proposal, I would like to adapt this format to the current mixer schedule. That is to say, 9pm EST on Saturday.

I briefly spoke to Netrat and Spinebuster at the conclusion of last weekend's test and they indicated that this could very well be an agreeable scenario. I would like to gauge your group's interest before I ask our CAS members to commit to this proposal. I think it could provide a welcome change of pace while at the same time allow for a larger, more diverse group of players to get involved in the mixer scene.

Again, thanks for considering. I look forward to your group's response.
08-20-2013 01:58 PM
OldeWolfe

Understood, and perhaps be end of week we will know more about how many players from this board and the OSL board will be interested but more often than not we don't know how many are going to show for the mixer until they do.

Point of note, we usually have 14 to 20 players at our mixers which includes several [CAS] players. With the "recruitment" of additional "diverse" players you may easily exceed the maximum number of players permitted on servers. The CYGNUS server (and perhaps the OSL server) can be available for your mixer in addition to yours, but you may want to be thinking about how to handle such an event.

Also, would you mind posting all the mixer rules that you have in mind i.e. flag drag deceleration rate, vehicles permitted and costs, inventory costs, any additional weapons disallowed, winning score, friendly fire on/off, etc.

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2013 05:17 PM by OldeWolfe.)
08-20-2013 05:06 PM
CAS04

Alright, then perhaps its best to just let it happen organically. That might be the best approach.

As for the rules, the list of changes are in the OP, those are the only deviations from the official ruleset.
08-21-2013 01:24 AM
OldeWolfe

Thanks 004, and btw...I appear to be a dummy here. How do I access the Official Rule Set? Which rule set are you referring to? I took your use of the term in the original post (if that is what OP means) to reference a [CAS] rule set or perhaps a HiRez rule set that they have posted somewhere but, with their original forum no longer accessible where would it be posted? Sorry, meabigdummy. Embarrassed Help please. Thanks in advance. Happy

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

08-21-2013 10:05 AM
CAS04

No problem, I suppose I should have been clearer regarding what I meant by Official ruleset, as there are several ways to interpret this.

Official ruleset is simply the settings for the official Hi Rez servers, where pub matches take place.

The proposed ruleset changes in the OP are the only deviations from the public server rules. As stated, we are trying to keep this format as close to what is universally played as possible, in order to draw in a larger playerbase.

I can certainly provide the official ruleset server settings if you are not already familiar with them.
08-21-2013 03:21 PM
Gorthaur

Sorry for being an ass hat, apparently I jumped to the wrong conclusions. This is how my brain worked: Last week: Netrat explained you guys were starting your own thing after ours, which was awesome. This week: I thought you announced you are moving it to the same time as our previously mutual thing and running it with people we don't have any relationship with (APC), opening the floodgates to the unclean masses and turning it into a pub. I hardly ever see you at the mixer sadly so it felt like arrogant outsiders were coming in and gimping or hijacking our event. I got the mental image of horrid tribes reddit trolls overwhelming me and the backdrop of orbital strikes coming down and destroying all I love and I lost it. I couldn't sleep all night but that was probably due to drinking coffee too late.

It looks like quite a few other people got the same impression I did, that you were doing a competing thing at the same time which would force us to either go our own way or be assimilated. We are going to have to blame Netrat for this one. Wasn't he supposed to be the ambassador and explain all of this shit to us? For shame, Netrat, for shame. Wink Heart

Please watch this music video and accept my apology.

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR-NXv5Tma0
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2013 12:29 AM by Gorthaur.)
08-24-2013 11:14 PM
Spinebuster

I like the idea of a tournament but when it conflicts with our current mixer, people tend to get upset. For some people, this is the only reason they show up. Spoken from experience.

The interest for competition just hasn't been there like it was in past tribes games.

Online Sports League
08-25-2013 10:37 AM
NetRat

First and foremost, that video was crazy and I didn't want to keep watching, but I couldn't turn away.

Next, I had no intent, nor O4 (I think), to replace our mixers. He approached me with an idea on how to keep the Tribes community active outside of pugs, pubs, and competitive ladders/tourny's. He heard about our mixers and thought it sounded like a where his ideas were headed. He was looking to beta test his ideas and asked if some of "my" people would be interested. I thought we would and proposed we would at the conclusion of last week's mixer. I made it a point to personally talk to each person, talk about the new idea, and invite them to the beta test. Participation was a little lacking, but we got a taste of O4's idea.

Now this week... I unfortunately have been really busy and did not read any of these posts. From what's above, O4 was asking to try again at an earlier timeslot to have more participation. Some of us are more amenable than others, but in the end, we did not alter the mixer format yesterday evening and O4 did not press the matter. I think it actually worked out for the best given we had some awesome games and with it being O4's first time in our mixer, provided him a view of what we've built.

All this being said, I encourage anyone/everyone to talk to him and get a sense of who he is and what he's after. Knowing him for a short time, I cannot imagine he would do anything that would intentionally alienate anyone from our group. The link between us and CAS goes through me and it was setup for a good reason (IMO). Our numbers were dwindling earlier this year and the mixers were starting to fall apart. I stumbled upon a group of players that held sportsmanship and fair, competitive plan above all else. I spent several weeks getting to know their members to make sure they were, more or less, a lot like us. I believe I was right and our mixers grew and have sustained. I felt the need to step up, and did put myself out there as "the ambassador". In retrospect, I STILL feel I did the right thing and we've gotten to know some more well-natured players.

I still want to support O4's efforts, but not at the sacrifice of what we have. Like with previous iterations of the Tribes franchise, this game will go "underground", or could vanish all-together seeing how HiRez owns all the servers. It feels like it's been dying for months now and unless we find ways to retain existing players and intrigue/invite new ones, this will all be gone before we know it.

I agree with Spine about having this not conflict, and O4 was just looking for some volunteers. I really hope some/most of us can provide some level of support and feedback. I think, in the end, it will help breath new life into this withering game.

I said this directly to both Gorthaur and OldeWolfe, and I will extend this to all that read this. I don't want to do anything that would interrupt or prevent me from continuing to play with all of you. I WOULD NOT be continuing to play this game if it weren't for this little community we've built. If you've felt I've overextended, misrepresented, or should feel shame, please talk to me directly and let me know. I am a big boy and welcome all feedback, positive or otherwise.
08-25-2013 08:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Season 4 Proposal Spinebuster 19 27,586 05-11-2013 11:44 PM
Last Post: Spinebuster