Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Stopping the Hackers...
NetRat

Stopping the Hackers...
Not sure if any of you know Kontaygen, but he dropped into Mumble last night during a Scrim team practice to talk about an app he is developing. The app will actively monitor the tribes.ini for the flash and hitbox mods to ensure the player does not have these enable. It will also take screenshots at random intervals to look out for other shenanigans. This info is logged and uploaded to a central place for review by a "referee".

I think this is a GREAT idea and I provided him some feedback on ways to prevent the app from being hacked - encryption, checksums, etc. Once matured, I think we could incorporate this into the mixers for those participants outside the core group (we know who we are). There are questions about other hacks/mods, to include magic chain, auto pistol, and gamma spotting. As I learn more, I will post and let everyone know.
05-02-2014 09:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OldeWolfe

RE: Stopping the Hackers...
Thanks NetRat...this is encouraging news!

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

[Image: owprints8.gif]
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
and the autumn moon is bright".
05-02-2014 11:38 AM
Gorthaur

What about magic chain etc?
05-03-2014 01:06 PM
NetRat

Just received the program from Kontaygen but haven't had a chance to install/use it.

As for any of the hacks, the program uses a conbination of tribes.ini checking and screenshots. It would identify magic chain for sure in the screenshots.
05-20-2014 10:48 AM
OldeWolfe

So...how does one use this? Apparently it is not a program that we can install on the CYGNUS server but rather we use it as individuals to detect and identify hackers, right?

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
05-20-2014 11:22 AM
Gorthaur

Let me know if he takes control of your computer remotely with this program
05-24-2014 05:03 PM
NetRat

He will only take control when you are shooting at him or if you are getting away with the flag - outside that, it will prevent hacking! Tongue

OldeWolfe - this is a program that must be installed individually. It is meant for comp, but depending on where we take the mixers, I believe we could use it to vet new mixers players. The regulars don't need to be checked for cheating, but anyone new could be forced to use this for a month to make sure they are on the up-and-up.
05-27-2014 01:16 PM
OldeWolfe

Any new developments on this program? Is it used on the Mixers we now play?

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

08-03-2015 09:39 AM