Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
Mixer Suggestion Box / Other Info
Takavoncracka

Mixer Suggestion Box / Other Info
Hey guys, we've had a lot of great matches and a lot of great feedback, but we'd like to make it more official to keep track of who says what. In here, we'll be taking suggestions, feedback, and even having votes on the changes to the tournament to make sure we're having as much fun as possible while also being open and inviting for more people to participate.

First things first, here have been a few suggestions that I would like to discuss pros and cons of here:

Suggestion 1: Expand tournament to 7v7
Having more players on each team would open up more tactical opportunities as well as incorporating vehicles, generators, base upgrades, snipers, and other potential things to make the games more varied. The specifics are of course up in the air, but is this something you'd be interested in? We had 20 people drafted for the second season of the 5v5 tournament, which means we would be 1 player short - if all players return next season - of 3 teams. As an ancillary suggestion, it was posited that we could run two tournaments - a 5v5 and a 7v7.

Suggestion 2: Captains Pool
Picking captains, historically in our mixers, is time consuming and can turn into a mandated position more than a voluntary one at times. There has been an idea to have a registered pool of volunteer "captains" that would be randomly selected from at the outset of each season. Once being selected, you could not be picked again for 2 subsequent seasons, or some such, to make sure all captains get a shot. How do you feel about this idea for the captains?

Suggestion 3: Player Rankings/Drafting
I put drafting into this category because it's related. We would conduct an anonymous survey ranking all currently registered players in the tournament on a scale of 1-10. All ranks would be averaged for each player and that would be the players' "cost" to be drafted at the outset of the next tournament. There would be a ranking prior to each tournament to keep increases in skill/awareness into account. Captains would then have a set "pool" of points to "spend" on players, all in an effort to keep too many of the most well rounded players on the same team and hopefully providing for closer matches. Discuss.

Suggestion 4: Player Scouting
The captains of each team for the NEXT season will be selected at the outset of the CURRENT season. This will give times for the upcoming captains to scout out the players they would like to fill each position based on the player pool and each players' "cost". Putting more thought into picking your team never hurts, but what do you guys think?

PLAYER RANKINGS
To get things underway, I would like to initiate the player ranking system. I will be creating a small script to run on the tribecygnus board that will allow you to rank all players on a scale of 1-10. I will be releasing this sometime in the next week or so, so keep an eye out here please. I will remind people in the mixers on Saturday.

Please go and review the match videos (see this thread) to get a feel for how each player is performing, or draw from your own experience. Remember, it's an anonymous vote, so be honest. If you don't rank players appropriately we will just end up with lopsided teams again. And you can rank yourself. Smile

SHOUTCASTING
Now that NetRat and myself have sorted out all the kinks in shoutcasting, we have the ability to cast every single match unless both of us are playing in a match against each other. Anyone who is interested in doing play by play commentary please contact me via PM or on TS3 and we'll work out a schedule of who is going to commentate each match. Don't be shy, everyone's invited!
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2013 10:20 PM by Takavoncracka.)
01-14-2013 10:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Spinebuster

RE: Mixer Suggestion Box / Other Info
Im all for increasing the team sizes. We just need to get a head count and see how many players we have before deciding. Either 4 teams 6 vs 6 (24) or 3 teams 7 vs 7 (21) works for me.

If we go the 7 vs 7 route we should open up gen play and upgrades. If not then we should keep it like it is.

I personally feel that we shouldnt allow the sniper rifles until either the weapons change or we reach player limits above 10 vs 10.

I do like the rankings idea, it will give everyone a good idea of what kind of player everyone is. Even if they are new.

Online Sports League
01-16-2013 07:00 PM
Takavoncracka

Here are my personal thoughts ( was waiting on somebody else to post so I didn't have a silly looking double post )

About expanding to a 7v7 (or even 6v6) format, it's not that I'm against playing that way. It would be wonderful to have larger teams and more positions to fill out...but if you think about it, I don't believe we've yet realized the potential of a 5v5. My first inkling of possibilities came listening to Donk and Greenroute shoutcast MrH vs Spinebuster last Sunday evening. Donk made an interesting observation to our diverging methods of defense and offense.

MrH was running a HOF, chaser, and tech with a Jugg spam and capper. Spinebuster was going for the med/heavy grabs with two cappers/spammers, one dedicated LO, a chaser and a Soldier defender. Having only 5 on a team means your strategies need to be fluid and ever analyzing the strengths/weaknesses of an opponent.

Here's an example: if Donk were body blocking cappers, why not go over in Raider and throw around whiteout grenades as the capper is rounding the bend? There is PLENTY of room for improvement on timing between spammers and cappers. How about having a heavier offense, forcing the enemy team into a defensive posture, etc etc. There are so many options I think we've left unexplored, and I hope that the 5v5 will force us to get creative.

ANYWAY, all this to say, I am in no way shape or form opposed to the idea of having more players on a team, but I don't think we should abolish the 5v5 format. I think it has a lot of potential (as shown above). But, we could also run a 7v7 tournament with an increasing player count. The only downside is that we don't have as many teams. I think from here on out we can bank on having 4 teams or more for a 5v5 tournament. We're just under 3 in a 7v7 format. We have almost 4 in a 6v6, etc etc.

Still working on the player ranking system, should roll out before mixer this weekend.
01-17-2013 01:50 AM
Spinebuster

I will agree that it does create other interesting strategies but I am just not sold on the smaller player counts. With the versatility already stripped out of the game it makes it a lot leas enjoyable with the limited action. With the game the way it is currently, 7 vs 7 is already limited enough.

Online Sports League
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2013 05:48 AM by Spinebuster.)
01-17-2013 05:46 AM
Donk-

I have some input but I will leave you hanging for now; must sleep. Hopefully I get some free time tomorrow so I can list them out!
01-18-2013 01:03 AM
Spinebuster

No sleep for you!

Online Sports League
01-18-2013 05:40 AM
OldeWolfe

It seems that the terms mixer and the 5x5 League Tournament have occasionally been intermingled in usage...my suggestion is for the mixer, not the 5x5 League necessarily (although it might prove to be interesting for the League too).

I think it would be interesting and scads of fun for everyone to only play in one designated class for an evening, i.e. all Sentinels or all Infiltrators, etc. Everyone would have to have that class unlocked of course, and it would have to be set up on the Custom Server ahead of time or we'd have everyone joining in their favorite suit.

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

[Image: owprints8.gif]
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
and the autumn moon is bright".
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2013 06:41 PM by OldeWolfe.)
01-18-2013 03:43 PM
MisterH

1) I wouldn't object at all to a 7v7 tourney, it's what tribes seems to have traditionally been. I do enjoy the 5v5s though, matches seem faster, less turtling, etc.

2) A pool of volunteers for captain would be pretty useful, I'm all for that.

3) Rankings: I don't object to the idea, I just think it would be difficult (and could lead to some people getting the wrong impression of their skills Smile)

4) My only issue with this would be: What if one of the captains had something come up and he can't do it, and someone else has to fill in at the last moment? That person wouldn't have had a chance to scout out players.

Shoutcasting: As soon as I get real internet (not this crappy DSL), I fully intend to do shoutcasting. I had a blast in T2 doing it, I'd love to do it again.
01-19-2013 06:12 PM
OldeWolfe

Some were suggesting tonight that we should consider removing the flag drag altogether. Whatchallthank?

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

[Image: owprints8.gif]
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
and the autumn moon is bright".
01-21-2013 12:36 AM
Spinebuster

The only issue i have with it is that it would lead to more flag standoffs and alot of really quick caps.

Online Sports League
01-21-2013 04:27 PM